The Times Cheltenham Science Festival
Year 10 Trip Friday 8th June 2018
Limited tickets are available for up to fourteen Year 10 students to attend “Creating Your Future” Hidden STEM Careers at The Times Cheltenham Science Festival which aims to excite and inspire young people who are interested in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). Wyedean School and Sixth Form Centre has secured tickets to with expert speakers outlined below and entry to a hands-on exhibition area for students to explore.
Careers within Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics are constantly increasing in number and variety. Today’s teenagers could be the future lead researchers and inventors in cybertech, genomics, smart materials and more. They could develop entire fields we currently don’t have a name for!
The activities arranged are outlined below:
10am-12pm STEM Showcase hosted by Greg Foot
In the morning, successful YouTuber and Blue Peter Science presenter Greg Foot introduces you to a stella line up of individuals working in a range of STEM fields.
- Anatomist and broadcaster Prof. Alice Roberts explores the world of bioscience
- Cyber security experts FC and Dr. Jessica Barker share how they’re striving to remain one step ahead of criminal hackers
- Careers and topical issues to do with Anxiety and Psychology are explored by Dr. Collette Hirsh (Senior Lecturer in Clinical Psychology, Kings College London)
- BBC TVs Food adventurer Stefan Gates gets stuck into the science of stuff we eat and drink everyday
- Mathematician Dr Aoife Hunt tells us about exciting new technologies used to keep us safe at crowded events
- Dr Steve Ingham is one of the UK’s leading figures in sport and a world leading performance scientist
- Neill Ricketts – local entrepreneur and material science expert explains the intriguing world of nanotechnology.
12-1pm Lunch and time to visit interactive partner spaces
1pm-2pm KS4 only Discover Zone
Students will be leaving Wyedean School at 8.45am and will leave Cheltenham at 2.10pm to return in time for buses at 3.20pm. Students will need to wear full school uniform and bring a packed lunch and a drink.
Please can interested students collect a letter from Science deadline.
Please make your payment of £18 using the new Parent Pay system online via your child’s account on or before Monday 4th June.
Mr S Motson (3 i/c The Sciences) email@example.com