- The Psychology department is committed to providing a vigorous and challenging A level curriculum. The department will deliver the course via a variety of methods, drawing on current pedagogical theory and learning and teaching techniques that have been tested through research- based enquiry.
- The Psychology department is intending to recruit a wide variety of students who will be interested in a broad curriculum ranging from Memory to Forensic Psychology. The department also endeavour to cater for every type of student and this is why we are providing A-Level and BTEC qualifications.
- The students will be expected to demonstrate their prowess as independent learners, and they will be able to express these skills through challenging prep tasks and project work in class. However, the students can also expect high levels of support and scaffolding from their contact time in lessons.
- The department aims to not only deliver the best possible curriculum but also to ensure that students are motivated to carry on the subject once they leave the school; whether this be reading the subject at University or continuing to engage with the new scientific developments.
- In line with the recent changes, the course is delivered in a linear fashion and students will be required to take three two hour exams at the end of the second year of the course.
- The department aims to assess and support the progression of its students through a combination of independent learning tasks; short weekly knowledge assessments; weekly written assessments and weekly written prep.
Key Stage 3
Psychology is not taught at Key Stage 3.
Key Stage 4
Psychology is not taught at Key Stage 4.
Key Stage 5
AS Level comprises of compulsory topics that aim to provide a breadth of understanding of the key approaches within Psychology. An essential skill within Psychology is the ability to scientifically study humans. Students will participate in studies in class and conduct studies independently. At A2 level students focus on less topics but at a greater depth.
To be supplied.