Learning Resource Centre and Library
About The Learning Resource Centre: The Learning Resource Centre, which includes the Wyedean Library, inspires Wyedean students to engage in independent study and develops their enjoyment of reading for pleasure through the provision of ample space, carefully selected resources and professional assistance. Close relations with subject departments enhance learning and support the wider curriculum.
Learning Resource Centre / Library
Opening Hours: 8:00am – 4:00pm Monday to Friday
The Learning Resource Centre inspires Wyedean students to engage in independent study and develops their enjoyment of reading for pleasure through the provision of ample space, carefully selected resources and professional assistance. Close relations with subject departments enhance learning and support the wider curriculum.
The LRC is used during lessons by sixth formers for as an independent study space, while teachers bring their classes to carry out group work and research. The LRC also welcomes students before and after school – and during break and lunchtimes - to study or relax.
In the LRC students can access:
- 48 study spaces.
- 20 PCs
- A library of 6800 fiction and non-fiction books.
- 100 DVDs.
- Subscriptions to a wide range of journals, magazines and newspapers.
- Up-to-date electronic current affairs resources.
- A selection of board games.
Years 12 and 13 are encouraged to make use of the excellent range of material on higher education and careers.
The LRC constantly strives to develop the quality of service offered. During 2012/13 the LRC will run reading groups, recruit a team of student librarians and continue to add new resources. The LRC manager’s role will expand to encompass the teaching of information and research skills to ensure Wyedean students are fully equipped to find the information they need online and offline in their school work and beyond.
The library promotes reading and literacy via:
- Events and promotions throughout the school year to raise awareness of the importance of reading such as World Book Day and trips to the Hay on Wye literary festival
- Active promotion of national competitions such as the BBC 500 words competition
- The Accelerated Reader programme to motivate and develop reading skills for year 7 and 8
- Book Clubs including the annual Carnegie Shadowing book club, inspiring and challenging students each year
- A film club which regularly screens book and curriculum-linked movies
Sixth Form Learning Resource Centre
Year 12 and 13 are encouraged to make use of the wide range of materials and resources in the LRC to assist them in their independent learning. These include:
- A comprehensive range of journals including issues of the excellent "Review" journals for all subjects at AS and A level. These journals provide excellent background reading and are supplemented by additional on-line resources and exam tips.
- A wide range of materials containing information on higher education and careers including the Times University Guide and the "Getting Into.." series providing advice on access to a range of jobs and careers.
- A fully qualified librarian who is available to provide assistance with EPQ research and to guide students to appropriate library resource.