Sciences Intent Statements
- We aim for ambitious and aspirational delivery of scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Our curriculum seeks to develop an understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help students understand and answer scientific questions about the world around them.
- Our strong focus on enquiry and practical science seeks to develop subject skills and scientific literacy.
- Expert guidance enables students to access a variety of qualification pathways at Key Stages 4 and 5 that cater for their differing needs and abilities.
- We prepare students for life beyond Wyedean School by challenging, motivating and inspiring them; leading to a lifelong interest in learning.
- We promote local, national and global awareness, and recognise the employment needs of the Forest of Dean and Chepstow communities. As such we endeavour to equip students to succeed in employment post school age.
Key Stage 3
Students follow the Pearson Exploring Science KS3 specification incorporating Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The course features a wide variety of science topics and wherever possible, practical activities are used to illustrate or explore key concepts. There is also a focus on improving students' appreciation of how scientists work and how science and technology influences our lives. Each topic is assessed through a short test.
Key Stage 4
KS4 students may opt to follow a Triple Science course, using one of their Y9 option choices. They gain three separate GCSE qualifications. All other students follow the compulsory GCSE Science Double award to gain two grades in coordinated Science. A small number of students will be taught GCSE and Entry level in parallel if their progress indicates they are finding the GCSE too demanding. The Wyedean Science LA follows the AQA Triple Science, AQA Trilogy and AQA Entry level specifications. Every topic taught is assessed through at least one short test and students are set weekly online quizzes to support their learning. Both Triple Science and Double Award Science allow students to make progress to A Level and BTEC Science studies, providing grade criteria are met.
Please click here for Information regarding Science GCSE Examinations
Key Stage 5
The three traditional A levels of Biology, Chemistry and Physics are offered and are stringent academic subjects. These will allow progress to scientific degree courses at University level. There is also a BTEC National Level 3 course in Science which is also accepted in UCAS applications and can lead to vocational science courses.
Key Stage 5 Transition
A variety of school trips take place through the year, with the Learning Area being particularly strongly linked to the Cheltenham Science Festival through the Famelab Academy competition and the annual visit to the festival itself. We regularly attend GCSE Live! Events too and host guest speakers. The aim of our trips is provide students with the opportunity to meet Scientists and hear about their work to foster an interest in Science as a career.