VACANCIES AT WYEDEAN
Full Time Teacher of French and Spanish
We are looking for an outstanding, enthusiastic and passionate MFL teacher who can inspire and motivate all students. We will need you to teach French to KS3, KS4 and KS5 and Spanish to KS3.
Closing date: Friday 10th March
Interviews: Friday 17th March
The Modern Foreign Languages Learning Area embodies a culture of success, sharing and support that is at the heart of the established ethos of Wyedean School.
The MFL Department currently offers Spanish and French at Key Stages 3, 4 and 5. We currently employ two full-time members of staff, with two part-time members of staff. The Department is housed in four purpose-built rooms and all four classrooms are well resourced and equipped with high quality audio equipment, projectors, laptops, speakers and microphones.
The faculty has a good range of course books, extension and support material as well as specific revision courses for GCSE and interactive CD programs, and a range of websites are used to enhance learning. Furthermore, each classroom has the availability of a bank of department laptops.
Spanish and French are currently taught in Year 7 and this is alternated each year. French is currently taught in Year 7 and Spanish is currently taught in Year 8 and 9.
The main courses used are:
• French : Studio for KS3 & AQA Kerboodle for KS4
• Spanish: ¡Mira! For KS3 & Mira GCSE Rojo for KS4
All language courses are supported and supplemented by authentic material, magazines, videos, websites, song and teacher-generated worksheets.
Spanish and French are taught to mixed-ability classes at all Key Stages. They are compulsory subjects at Key Stage 3 and popular options at Key Stage 4. Currently, students study only one language from Year 7 and this alternates each year.
The aim of the Modern Languages faculty is to provide a stimulating and challenging environment where students learn to communicate effectively and confidently in the foreign language. Cultural context and awareness is an integral and essential part of the language; Year 8 French students had the opportunity to visit France in a residential visit last February, whilst KS4 Spanish students will be travelling to Barcelona in February this year. Year 9 Spanish students will also be able to take part in a Spanish trip, to Madrid in July. We also conduct activities to celebrate European Day of Languages.
The target language is the main language of the classroom. This ensures maximum exposure to the language and the opportunity to participate in 'real' situations. Homework is set regularly and is an essential and integral part of the course.
All aspects of MFL are covered, including listening, speaking, reading and writing. The department has recently reviewed and restructured its schemes of work at KS3 and 4 in order to provide our students with a consistent and more disciplined learning experience.
GCSE and A Level (AQA) in French and Spanish are currently offered.
Approximately 76% - 100% of students gained A*-C GCSE grades last year in French and Spanish and it is expected that this figure will continue to increase.
As a French/Spanish teacher within an established team your essential responsibilities would include;
• Teaching French to students at KS3, KS4 and KS5
• Teaching Spanish to students at KS3
• Promoting MFL whole school and being involved in key language activities throughout the year
The successful candidate will be:
• A good or outstanding teacher of students.
• A graduate of French/Spanish who holds a DfE recognised Qualified Teacher Status.
• Able to teach French to all academic levels across KS3, KS4 and KS5 and Spanish to KS3.
• Knowledgeable of recent developments in Education and in French/Spanish teaching and the new GCSE.
• Able to incorporate ICT into the teaching of the French/Spanish curriculum.
• Able to demonstrate recent training and attendance at relevant INSET courses.
• Willing to assist in the organization and provision of residential trips.
• Able to demonstrate ability to interest, inspire and motivate pupils to enjoy and study Spanish/French.
• Genuinely interested in students' learning and to demonstrate an awareness of their needs.
• Flexible in approach and to the employment of a range of teaching methods.
• Able to work as a member of a team and to contribute towards faculty initiatives.
We hope that the details included here, and available on our school website, encourage you to apply for the position of Teacher of French/Spanish at Wyedean.
In your application, please outline what particular skills and strengths you could bring to the team, as well as any extra-curricular contributions you would be willing to make. Deadline for applications - Friday 10th March 2017 Interviews - Friday 17th March 2017
Download the Teaching Staff Application form in PDF format HERE.
Download the Teaching Staff Application form in Microsoft Word format HERE.